Search

CelluloidPoints Search

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Delhi 6 : by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra

Delhi 6 , I eagerly wanted to see what Rakesh Mehra has up his sleeves this time around post Rang De.

The film starts with the audience getting the flavour of desi apna pan when Waheeda Rahman along with her grandson Roshan embark to the walled city of Delhi -110006.

The first hour looks at the rat-a-tat of Purani Delhi with jalebi's paratha's , kabootar's , Jama Masjid and rickshaw pullers taking the limelight.

The supporting cast here is splendid with at one side we have stalwarts like Om Puri , Supriya Pathak to the nascent actors like Sonam Kapoor and Cyrus.

The film's premises is the parallelism shown with the Ramayana and "today's environ we live in" depicted well by the frequent Ram Lila sequences.

The love track between Abhishek and Sonam never takes off and the Kala Bandar episode creams through the second half of the film , culminating marvelously , bringing forth the soul of the movie.

High Points :
  1. Divya Dutta's performance (Jalebi , the kudewali)
  2. Vijay Raaz's performance (Daroga)
  3. The Mandir Sequence in last hour
  4. AR Rahman's Music
Rakesh Mehra gave a fitting morality opera in today's times and the subtlety just blew me away.

Rating : 4.0 /5.0

2 comments:

Garima said...

Hi Tanuj!
Surprised to see me drop on your blog?? :D
Well...m a frequent visitor here and must say u have amazing writing skills.
I generally go well with the ratings you give, but this time :O 4.5 for delhi 6???
I felt Delhi 6 was a big disappointment after RDB. It literally turned out to be a torture...emotional atyachar u see :D
Anyways...it's just what i feel :)
Keep writing.

m said...

I actually quite enjoyed the movie. I think you need to be able to identify with the place and the characters. Coming from where I do and my exposure to the North, I definitely could.

Related Posts with Thumbnails